[Qt-creator] progress bar position usability

Ziller Eike Eike.Ziller at digia.com
Tue Apr 16 09:58:23 CEST 2013

On 15.04.2013, at 22:56, André Pönitz <andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 02:35:43PM -0400, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> In the latest master, the progress bar was moved from just above the build&run
>> selector (lower left) to the lower right corner.
>>
>> As soon as I updated to the version containing this change, I surprised myself
>> looking very quickly from right to left lower corner and I realise this is so
>> because I was used to take in in a single glance both the status of the
>> compilation and the build config to which that status was associate.
>>
>>> From an usability stand point, it might be that the progress bar was OK there
>> where it was before.
>>
>> Am I alone experiencing this perception problem?
>
> I am myself in the process of getting used to the new location ;-}
>
> The idea behind putting it into the status bar is to free the mode
> switcher bar on the left from "important" information so that the bar
> can be (optionally) hidden to free some more space to the editors.

And that the limited horizontal space in the mode selector makes it a very bad place for horizontal progress bars with horizontally written titles.
Also, the progress information is not actually tied to whatever is written as the build config in the target selector, since it's possible to change that while a build is done. But, actually, the new place of the progress bars makes it possible to write the information about the project & build config directly attached to the build progress bar, which is probably even better, usability-wise :)

Br, Eike

--
Eike Ziller, Senior Software Engineer - Digia, Qt

Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Anja Wasenius