[Qt-creator] Dev: add/remove folder in File System view

Sven Goericke sven.goericke at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 00:29:04 CEST 2013

On 08/11/2013 11:57 PM, André Pönitz wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 11:26:12PM +0200, Sven Goericke wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> i just added 2 more options to the context menu in the "File System"
>> view, allowing adding and removing a folder. I don't know why this is
>> still missing but it was my personal need for this options. You can
>> review the code here:
>> https://qt.gitorious.org/qt-creator/sgoerickes-qt-creator/commit/1c5c51c91d9fb1aaa5ee13e3a77bd142e5dbc142/diffs/6f4383409af33df2662cae3d8239fa2797c53744
>>
>> I created a fork of the original qt-creator and also a separate branch
>> for my work. Please note that Qt is relative new for me (while C++ isn't).
>
> [As side-note: Any code that is meant for inclusion in Qt (including Qt Creator)
> needs to follow http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt-Contribution-Guidelines ]

Yeah i did a quick look to this. But because i've plans for the generic
project manager which might be some bigger changes i contacted the
Maintainer for Project Management in QTC directly (as stated on
http://qt-project.org/contribute). I hope to get a little help in the
steps to contribute ;-)

>> To the maintainers: are there any serious reasons why adding/removing
>> folders is still missing in Qt Creator?
>
> Probably because people did not feel the urge to duplicate a file manager's
> functionality. It's one of those areas where people tend to have strong
> personal preferences. Whatever one does in such an area will cause some
> shouts from the people who don't need or want it, and a flurry of
> bugreports about missing features in the first implementation at the same
> time. But you could try ;-)

Well, a duplicated filemanager is not my goal. But i also don't like to
switch betwenn a filemanger or a console and QTC just to create a
directory. What i like to see is that feature not in "File System" view
but in Generic Project Manager. Modifying the "New File" wizard to
create directories if they don't exist could also be an option. I think
that has to be discussed with the maintainers.

>> Private as well at work we use plain Makefile-based projects and
>> switching to another build-system is no option. Therefore i like to
>> improve some features in the Generic Project Manager.
>
> That would be appreciated.

I contacted Daniel Teske about my plans on that.

>> I also plan to create a plugin for boost.test support (while we use QTC
>> to write code we don't use Qt itself).
>>
>> Apropos plugin: i just created my first plugin for QTC. It's nothing big,
>> just adds a little feature i missed. After 5 years of Emacs sometimes you
>> miss something
>>
>> https://gitorious.org/qtcreator-plugin-commentextend/qtcreator-plugin-commentextend
>
> Little features are best not done as plugins, but directly integrated in
> the core functionality. Plugins bear quite some overhead, both at startup
> time, and more importantly for maintenance in general.

That might be true. But for my "first steps" i think it was important to
get in touch with the plugin-system. To get familiar with the interfaces
and so on. But you're right, this one is little enough to find it's way
into the core.

Sven
P.S. Grüsse aus Leipzig an die Uni in Chemnitz ;-)