[Qt-creator] Dev: add/remove folder in File System view

Sven Goericke sven.goericke at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 12:43:15 CEST 2013

Hey,
On 08/13/2013 12:19 PM, Daniel Teske wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for your intrest in improving the generic project manager.
> The right forum for discussing changes is either here, if you only have a
> plan. Or in gerrit, if you have code that can be reviewed.
> As to adding folder operations to the generic project manager, yes that would
> be good. Please upload the patch to gerrit, see http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt-
> Contribution-Guidelines.

i did setup gerrit yesterday. So i can start contributing soon. However,
at the moment the add/remove folder is not available in the project
manager view (for any kind of project) but in the file-system view which
works independent from projects. Not sure what you think but we could
leave it there. From what i've tried the generic project manager
maintains a list of files. The add/remove folder option just makes it
more easy to add new files without leaving the IDE (it's not my
intention to duplicate a full-featured file-manager).

> The generic project managers purpose is to be build-system agnostic. It knows
> almost nothing about the way the project is built, and that should stay that
> way. The main reason for its existance is to provide enough information to
> Creator that e.g. the code model and the locator can do their work.
>
> In the private mail you send, you mentioned parsing makefiles for their target.
> That would not fit into what the generic project manager is. (That the generic
> project manager has it's own specific makestep is just a relict from the first
> implementation.)

I understand that. So my question is: if my whishes don't fit into the
genric projetc manager, the other option would be to introduce a "new"
project-manager specific for Makefile-based projects. Is that the woy to go?

Sven