[Qt-creator] Remote Linux plugin and CMake

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed Aug 21 21:09:44 CEST 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 03:21:07PM +0200, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Christian Kandeler wrote:
>
> > The current implementation of generic deployment support in the
> > RemoteLinux plugin expects a list of files and destinations
> > (ProjectExplorer::DeploymentData) and simply copies them over to the
> > target device via SFTP. It makes no assumptions at all about the source
> > of the deployment information (typically some build system).
> > The two approaches above seem to require additional, build system
> > dependent work: They both need a preparatory step (creating the package
> > and installing to a temporary directory, respectively),
>
> The 'make install' target could also be responsible for creating files which
> need to be deployed. I think installing to a tmp dir is the best solution.

It probably depends on circumstances.  'make install' can be a quite
lengthy operation in some projects, and sometimes 'burns' data into
binaries, making them non-relocatable. Having that as canonical part of
quick development roundtrips might be intolerable.

Maybe the solution is to simply support both. List of files for some
cases, 'make install' for other. User selects. Or can be determined
by the presence of the 'CMakeDeployment.txt'. Or something like that.

Andre'