[Qt-creator] Problem registering MinGW

Guido Seifert wargand at gmx.de
Thu Aug 22 11:41:48 CEST 2013

Hiya, any expert on toolchains here?

My problem, I try to register a MinGW. What I do:

I create an ABI

 ProjectExplorer::Abi abi(
        ProjectExplorer::Abi::X86Architecture,
        ProjectExplorer::Abi::WindowsOS,
        ProjectExplorer::Abi::WindowsMSysFlavor,
        ProjectExplorer::Abi::PEFormat,
        ProjectExplorer::Abi::LittleEndian
    );

Create a gcc toolchain:

ProjectExplorer::GccToolChain *gccChain =
        new ProjectExplorer::GccToolChain(QLatin1String(ProjectExplorer::Constants::GCC_TOOLCHAIN_ID), false);

and register it:

ProjectExplorer::ToolChainManager::instance()->registerToolChain(gccChain);

My problem:
The toolchain gets registered as manually installed. When I click on this toolchain I see under ABI in the config widget:

x86-windows-msys-pe-32bit-x86-windows-msys-pe-32bit

but when I hover over the chain the tooltip shows:

ABI unknown-unknown-unknown-unknown-unknown

Kits created with this toolchain also complain about unknown compiler.

When I switch the ABI in the config widget to <custom> and back to <x86-windows-msys-pe-32bit> it starts working. Looks somehow as if the registering is not sufficient. Any additional step I am missing?

Is it a problem when I register a MinGW as gcc? The MinGWToolChain constructor is private.

Guido