[Qt-creator] New design

Vojtěch Král vojtech at kral.hk
Fri Aug 30 18:36:15 CEST 2013

On 2013-08-30 16:52, Preet wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 1:17 PM, Elias Steurer <elias at evolutionzone.net> wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>
> This looks almost exactly like the new Visual Studio though. And I mean, I wasn't able to tell them apart at first glance -- I'm tempted to say you started with a Visual Studio screenshot as reference and then remixed it to show QtCreator features/options. Even if you didn't, I don't think its ever a good idea to style a product so closely to the competition. I do prefer the darker theme and I do like how compact the left sidebar is though, the current one has always struck me as taking up too much space.

Couldn't agree more, "This is a bit too like MSVS" was my first thought
when I saw the design.

I also think Tobias Hunger is right about tabs being a waste of space.

The most important thing here, though, is that QtCreator's GUI does
_not_ need a revolution. The GUI is well designed, well polished, offers
very good functionality and is comfortable. You don't need to fix
something that's not broken. Besides, we've seen a number of revolutions
lately in various areas of software and in most cases it didn't end up
so well.

Or, if someone is convinced that a more radical change is needed, they
have to present a convincing reasoning first as to why it is needed.

Right now, this is what my dev desktop w/ QtCreator looks like:
http://imageshack.us/a/img843/347/1rtp.png [1]
I don't think this design is so easy to beat ;-)

Disclaimer: All of the above is IMHO, of course.

Regards, VK

Links:
------
[1] http://imageshack.us/a/img843/347/1rtp.png