[Qt-creator] New Design 2#

Elias Steurer elias at evolutionzone.net
Fri Aug 30 20:52:47 CEST 2013

Wow thank you for your feedback! Ok Guys lets put together all of our
concerns:

Bad:

*         It's too dark, do depressive!

o   A white version of the skin is on the way

*         Visual Studio looks the same!

o   Yes I have to admit as a Designer the trend goes to "Flat Design". On
the one hand its simplifies the editor and make it look and feel a lot
cleaner. And no I don't want it to look like a clone of Visual studio! You
have to be patient, it needs time to create something unique

*         The new icons are all grey!

o   Yes this will be changed soon, I promise ;)

*         Some important features are missing (Progress, Project tree)!

o   As I said, it is only a prototype

*         It isn't possible to accomplish this in the time, we don't have
the manpower to do that for 3.0

o   I just randomly picked a number.. Don't panic ;)

*          The multiple Documents problem

o   Thank you charley for your advice, I will change that!

*         We don't need that "new design revolution", I can do all the
thinks what I have to do with the current design!

o   Well this point is a bit tricky. Digia want to have full Android and
iPhone support until the end of this year. Be honest the design of an IDE
also represents and shows the possibilities what you are able to do with
that kind of technology. Since we write our interfaces in qml (which is
literally awesome by the way) we also want a graphical editor. And who is
using this editor? Designer who really care about good looking interfaces.
The point that "you can do everything with the current design" is true! But
stop to evolve is not a good thing. You get my point, right?

Good:

*         New rotated bar

*         Minimalistic icons

*         Simplified editor

*         Cleaner look (Flat Design)

*         Right corner, a preview of the code

*         Dark AND White version

*         Font: Open Sans Light

Ideas:

*         Changing the debug button (A lot of people click it by accident)

*         Moving the Target selector to the top

*         More colors, color schemes for the code?

*         Do you have some ideas/wishes?

I will try to consider all of your concerns :P

Best,

Eli