[Qt-creator] New Design 2#

Michael Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 21:15:31 CEST 2013

I have no idea whose idea this is lately to go with all monochromatic icons but STOP IT. As a human my eyes can pick up on color differences _much_ quicker than gray scale differences. Keep some color. It helps the usability of the software.

The one main thing you need to be thinking about on this "redesign" is not "eye candy" or "it *looks* good but does it enhance the usability of the software. If something looks great but I have to hunt for everything because the differences between buttons and labels are so subtle that they don't stand out then the design is useless (IMNSHO). Add changes that will help the usability of the software. NOT make it "look" good.

 And what is it with everything being flat lately? I thought there were studies done that basically said the semi-3D'ish of gradients helps with the human-computer interaction. I think VS2012 is a travesty to usability and a lot of developers seem to think that way. Just do a search. Apple removed all the color icons in the "Finder" on the sidebar. This reduced the usability of the system because it is harder to distinguish the icons quickly. Looks like iOS 7 is heading that route also.

Sorry for the friday rant but making something look good is not the same as making something usable. Form follows function.

Cheers
Mike Jackson