[Qt-creator] [QtCreator] Plugin for ProgressManager implementation

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at kdab.com
Thu Dec 12 11:10:13 CET 2013

On Thursday, 2013-12-12, 10:45:25, Tobias Hunger wrote:
> On 12.12.2013 09:55, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > Isn't job progress reporting something that is covered by the
> > freedesktop.org status notifier specifications, currently implemented by
> > KDE and Unity IIRC?
> That specification is not real help.
>
> AFAIK Gnome does not implement them in either Gnome 2 and its forks nor
> in Gnome 3. One more area where you can not write a cross-linux-desktop
> application without lots of extra code:-/

My understanding of the spec is that using it in a client on a system that
doesn't support it has no negative side effects. And since it is already
implemented by two leading workspace implementations it adds improvements for
users of those.

IMHO having support for the main cross-desktop specification of that area does
not only benefit those currently using a workspace that already implements it.

It also benefits those who's workspaces currently do not support it because
gives a clear way forward should better integration be desired.
I.e. users of QtCreator on GNOME Shell wanting progress integration like users
of KDE or Unity could just write a GNOME Shell Extension for the host part of
the spec and get integration support for any QtCreator version onward, even
binary packaged ones.

Cheers,
Kevin
--