[Qt-creator] Custom lines formatting in Compile Output

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Dec 13 12:28:40 CET 2013

(sorry for delay)

On 9 December 2013 10:22, Tobias Hunger <tobias.hunger at digia.com> wrote:
> On 09.12.2013 10:13, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>>> Long story short, I would like to add colorise some lines
>> that my custom IOutputParser recognises.
>
> Please don't. I have enough bug reports about the two colors we use
> already:-) You would be surprised how many people ask to change one line
> or another to be printed in red instead of black (or the other way
> around)... or that complain that after changing the compiler the errors
> are no longer printed in red as they used to or whatnot.

I understand and I won't :)

> If you insist on doing you own custom highlighting: Please make your
> lines stand out from the others in such a way that it is clear that no
> compiler/buildsystem combo on earth would ever create them!

I will keep that in mind as a very last resort.

>> 2) Or, there is no way, for tasks in "Compile" category, apply
>> some finer filtering. The only available is on/off for warnings.
>
> Also have bug reports for that... same problem as for the sorting.
>
>> In my case, build output can contain
>> - build errors
>> - build warnings
>> - compile-time testing status (fail/pass)
>> - run-time testing status (fail/pass)
>>
>> and I'd like to visually distinguish output for the last two kinds,
>> either in "Compile Output" view directly or in the "Issues" list.
>
> I do not think compile output is the right place for this: Many users
> seem to not display that at all and fully rely on the build issues.
>
> https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,72040 adds support for custom
> icons to the tasks in the build issues. You could use those to make your
> tests stand out a bit more in that list.
>
> You could even move them into their own task category, so that you
> toggle the tests in the build issues separately from the compile issues.
> I would recommend doing that anyway: Tests are no compile problems after
> all, so they deserve a separate category.

That is a piece of advise I needed, apparently.
The icon and dedicated category is best fit for my purpose
for my https://github.com/mloskot/qt-creator-plugin-boostbuild

I will learn how to make use of it.

Thanks a lot for all the other explanation,
much helpful to understand where things come from.

Best regards,
--
Mateusz  Łoskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net