[Qt-creator] Build plain c++ project issue

Steve Atkins steve at blighty.com
Sat Dec 28 18:13:30 CET 2013

On Dec 28, 2013, at 7:20 AM, Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi <mbnoimi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/26/2013 12:57 PM, Kevin Krammer wrote:
>> Right. Don't get me wrong, QMAKE works nicely for the feature set it targets.
>> The more advanced systems like CMake become interesting when the project at
>> hand needs to use other APIs additional to Qt, when you need to detect system
>> specific differences, etc.
> Sorry for silly questions:-[
> AFAIK Qt lincense don't conflicet with CMake ones so I wonder why both
> maintains don't collaborate to make CMake the default make system in Qt?
> why Qt guys re-invent the wheel (QBS) while CMake already exists?

CMake is … not the ultimate perfect build system, not by a long way. One
thing is has in common with qmake is that it’s not a build system so much
as it’s a makefile generator - so it, too, inherits many of the limitations of
make. It has a fairly unpleasant user experience too.

QBS looks like it may be quite nice.

There are much more interesting build systems to compare QBS with than
cmake, though - gyp, ninja, scons, waf and jam are some that spring to mind.

Cheers,
  Steve