[Qt-creator] Qt Creator 2.8 on Linux - g++ version

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at digia.com
Tue Jul 2 15:13:36 CEST 2013

On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 12:53:21PM +0000, Koehne Kai wrote:
> Actually I always wanted to check out how far we could get with
> building Qt Creator packages with obs (http://openbuildservice.org/,
> http://build.opensuse.org/). In theory this should allow us to build
> rpm/debian packages  for various distributions (OpenSUSE, Debian,
> Ubuntu, Fedora and Mandriva)  with 'native' packages that get
> dependencies etc right.
>
> Any thoughts / comments on this?

i'm not convinced:
- we'd be duplicating the work the linux distros are doing *anyway* (on
  their own schedule, so it's not realistic that we could reliably tap
  into that)
- most users wouldn't manage to install those packages without root
  privileges (which is a problem if they don't own the machines)
- it would fragment our own packaging process (even more)

i think it would be better to continue with our current system and make
the packages more self-contained (linking more static libs, or shipping
the dependencies and having respective rpaths).
this way both approaches to "installing stuff on linux" are covered, and
we don't spend resources on (poorly) replicating others' work.