[Qt-creator] Qt Creator 2.7 onward does not work with some gdb on Windows

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Sun Jun 2 21:29:11 CEST 2013

On Sun, Jun 02, 2013 at 11:23:06AM -0700, Coda Highland wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 11:09 AM, André Pönitz
> <andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:
> > I am, however, somehow opposing the idea of personally hunting down all
> > currently existing and future builds of GDB with "customized" version
> > strings and making sure that we can parse the version number back.
> >
> > Andre'
>
> It seems to me that the "right" place to do it would be a QtC
> build-time configuration option of some sort, so that the QtC package
> maintainer for a given platform can configure it to match the gdb
> configuration for said platform.
>
> /s/ Adam

I am not really convinced.

With less effort than that the Qt Creator package maintainer could probably
convince his colleague GDB package maintainer to be a bit less creative
when inventing version strings.

[And, arguably, there's already code to that end in the version auto test.
Just add a case to tst_gdb::version_data...]

Medium term I'd like to simply get rid of most of the version dependencies.
Most of the criticial version-specific stuff covers (or even cover-"ed")
the early GDB 7.x releases, which we haven't offically supported for quite
a while now (even if they "accidentally" worked) Of course, this still does
not solve less critical issues like e.g.  potential increases of the
timeout values or even issueing a warning when discovering a version close
to 7.6 etc etc, but it should make mis-detections less harmful...

Andre'