[Qt-creator] Behavior of .pro.shared files in QtCreator 2.8 beta

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 21:15:07 CEST 2013

Hello Thomas,

No, the code has not changed in any significant way as far as I am aware of.

What creator will do (on the top of my head) is check the version of
the shared and the user file, bring up the one with the lower file
version to the higher on, merge the settings of the shared settings
with the user settings and then proceed with upgrading the merged
settings to the newest version of the file.

It will *not* write into either the .shared nor the .user file, but
the .user file will later be overwritten by other code. The .shared
file will not get changed though. This is by design: We do not want to
some people that will work with the latest and greatest from the
master branch to upgrade the .shared file, making it unusable for
anybody that is using a stable Creator from the Qt SDK or your
favorite linux distribution. You will need to update the .shared file
manually once you are sure everybody has upgraded.

There is no need to have the environment id in the .shared file. Each
user will have his own anyway, so that should never apply.

Having targets in a .shared file is tricky (the .shared mechanism was
meant for the editor settings only): That will only ever work if you
have kits with the same ID (which is usually generated randoml!) for
_all_ your users. You might also need toolchains, etc. to be identical
(incl. the ids, which is the tricky part again). The only way to do
that is basically to use the sdktool to set up all the kits for all
users. So did you do that with the QtC 2.8 beta? If not, then the kits
will be dropped and you might get a warning on the console.

Hope this helps...

Best Regards,
Tobias