[Qt-creator] Qt Creator Issues tab does not populate

Alfonso Chartier alfonso.chartier at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 02:30:10 CET 2013

Hi,

A number of my coworkers are using Tasking CodeWright, a rather ancient and
no-longer-supported IDE, for editing/building DSP code for an embedded
target. I'm trying to help them get switched over to using Qt Creator but
I'm running into some difficulties getting the Issues/Error tab in Qt
Creator to populate.

I think the problem is that the compiler they are using is not called make
(which I think Qt Creator expects). Instead, it's called wmk.exe (as found
on this website: http://www.tasking.com/support/ede/). After successfully
adding this compiler to a new Kit, in the Build Steps the "make" command
still shows up by default (rather than wmk.exe). At this point, I tried
creating a Custom Process Step that calls wmk.exe (essentially bypassing
the new Kit I had created above). When executed, this builds the code fine,
however the Issues tab is completely empty. This is a show-stopper for them
migrating to Qt Creator, since they need the ability to quickly jump to the
line of an error when one occurs.

How can I work around this problem? How does Qt Creator populate the Issues
tab? As a reference, in their existing CodeWright IDE, they manually
configure a "Custom Error Parser". They essentially point the IDE to a .err
file generated by the compile step and give CodeWright a complex regular
expression to use to parse the .err file and populate the error list.
Perhaps this complex configuration doesn't need to be performed to get Qt
Creator set up for this, but I just have no idea how to get the Issues tab
to populate or how to continue to troubleshoot this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!