[Qt-creator] Roadmap for Python support?

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue Nov 26 21:56:27 CET 2013

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 10:41:11AM -0800, achartier at fastmail.fm wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My colleagues and I already use Qt Creator for all our Qt development.

That's nice to hear.

> We will be writing a fair amount of Python for one of our upcoming
> projects and would love to continue using Qt Creator for Python
> development. While Qt Creator already seems to have Python syntax
> highlighting and auto-indentation, auto-completion for Python still
> seems to be missing.

Indeed.

> Are there plans to provide auto-completion functionality for Python in
> the near future? What about built-in support for pdb and other Python
> debuggers? In general, what is the roadmap (if there is one) for making
> Qt Creator a great Python IDE?

There are two stories here.

1. Since the PythonEditor is now part of the main code base, it will be
maintained to the degree that it will be kept compilable and usable after
changes to core infrastructure. But that's about it. Feature development
of the Python support is currently not on the roadmap of the core team
and my personal bet would be that it won't end up there anytime soon.

2. I once had some (absolutely basic, a bit stepping, breakpoints, data
display, no threads etc) Python debugging based on pdb running as "yet
another use case" when working on the "debugger backend abstraction" for
Creator. That's dysfunctional right now, but reviving it should be
straightforward, less than a day of work. I have also a semi-functional
qlalr based scanner for Python 2 hanging around, but going from there to a
real parser, integrating that properly, together with some kind of project
explorer integration or "project management" would be quite some effort.
If someone wants to work into that direction I'd happily help to integrate
stuff, and perhaps handle the debugging side, but not much more than that.

Andre'