[Qt-creator] Kit and device concept in QtCreator

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 15:32:51 CEST 2013

Hey Mehdi, Hallo Christian,

feedback we had when we were still with Nokia was that the kits
concept worked well for device development. The icon changing in the
Mini Target Selector to reflect the actual device targeted was the one
big thing there. That will go away with your device-switching
approach: You will have to check the actual popup for the device used
to see where your code will be run then.

2013/9/5 Christian Kandeler <christian.kandeler at digia.com>:
> This would also help in making more visible which device we actually use
> when deploying/running, at the place in the GUI where it matters most. I
> actually planned to put a label there, but of course a combo box would
> work as well,

How is this setting any different from e.g. the compiler used to build
the code or the Qt version used? Should those get labels in the
buildconfiguration as well? Should we make those editable in the build
configuration as well? UI-wise we would then be back at the targets,
but with the disadvantage that projects will change settings for other
projects. That may or may not break their configurations.

My understanding was that we all agreed to go for having certain
entries of the kits configurable in the mini target selector (that
thing with the kit icon above the run/debug/build butttons). Which
settings to have configurable there was supposed to be defined by the
kits themselves, so that e.g. your blackberry plugin can put the
device selector there while the desktop kit (there is always exactly
one desktop device) will most likely not want to display that UI. That
is a compromise everybody should be able to live with and it actually
increases flexibility... which hardcoding "this platform can change
this setting" does not.

Did something pop up that changed that?

Best Regards,
Tobias