[Qt-creator] Kit and device concept in QtCreator

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at digia.com
Fri Sep 6 11:26:40 CEST 2013

Hi David,

On 05.09.2013 20:33, David Kaspar wrote:
> This describes a generic interface that would allow to supply any
> structure into "Mini Project Target Selector" - not only a 'Devices'
> selection.
> Anyway it seems that there is no use-case for it, so I am taking the
> proposal back.

My plan was to allow for kits to put any of their settings into the mini
target selector. It has the icon of the kit, so it kind of makes sense
to me to make the kit (partly) editable there. At least more sense that
anywhere else that is:-)

Basically I wanted to have some flag that can be set on the individual
KitInformation that make up any kit that will allow those to be
editable. You can then set this flag on the deviceKitInformation for
your kits.

Your proposal goes beyond having just the kit settings: Which use case
do you have for that and why do you think the UI should go into the mini
project target selector?

> Yes, that would be enough for our use-case. For my API proposal, I
> assumed that we should not modify 'IDevice' class.

Can you think of a better place for that functionality? I am not set on
having it my way:-)

> Would it be ok if we implement the Devices selection in the 'Mini
> Project Target Selector' using 'bool isCompatible(Kit)' function
> (default implementation would return 'false')?

No.

It would be great to have a implementation that uses a the current logic
to match up devices and kits (purely based on the kit's device type
IIRC). Just returning false is not an option as that will break all kits
since no device would match anymore and all of them would end up without
any device set at all.

Then that method can be used to by the DeviceKitInformation's config
widget. That is the UI currently used to select Devices in
Tools>Options>Build & Run>Kits to select the device there.

Then we can reuse that UI in other places, like the Mini Project Target
selector. That will require a couple of changes to the kits so that what
can be shown is configurable. What I do not want is to hardcode what
will be displayed where.

Best Regards,
Tobias

--
Tobias Hunger, Senior Software Engineer - Digia, Qt
Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Anja Wasenius