[Qt-creator] Remote Linux plugin and CMake

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 22:24:39 CEST 2013

Hi Stephen,

On Sep 9, 2013 9:27 PM, "Stephen Kelly" <steveire at gmail.com> wrote:

> André Pönitz wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 08:09:23PM +0200, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> > Not really. "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."
>
> Again, just deflecting attention away from doing the wrong thing.

I am with Andre here: Having something now is better than maybe getting
something later. I am not doubting anybody commitment, it is just nice to
have something to test things with.

> A superior approach which will serve more than one user. It will instead
> serve all CMake users.

Yep, right. But till we have that we can still serve one user:-)

> > It has been pointed out that both approaches can be implemented, and
> > can co-exist.
>
> That is not correct. They can not co-exist. What is installed by running
> make install may not be the same as what is in the deployment file. You
> would have to have UI to allow the user to configure which one is
> authoritive.
>
> That's just more bad user experience.

I beg to differ: We support a range of different options for qmake and do
not see why that should not work for cmake.

> Yes, I can implement it. I thought my recommended approach was already
> rejected. Please be more clear about that. Or maybe I need to wait for
> Daniels decision?

My impression was that we will go with the current patch for now and see
how things develop from there:-)

Quite frankly I hope there is a solution that does not involve creeping and
parsing cmake output. Parsing is always fragile. Having cmake generate
something is most likely more stable.

Best Regards ,
Tobias

PS: While talking about parsing: Qbs does produce great output for parsing
the build output. Basically you get the file being worked on, the full
command run and the output to stderr and stdout. That makes figuring out
what any warning is about really easy. Can we get similar information from
cmake?