[Qt-creator] We ported the Welcome Page, Qt Quick Designer and QML Profiler to Qt Quick 2

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Sep 16 21:44:59 CEST 2013

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 05:30:54PM +0200, David Kaspar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are we supposed to develop our QtCreator plugins (e.g. 'qnx' plugin) to
> be compilable by both Qt4 and Qt5? Or should we rather drop the
> compatibility with Qt4 and start using Qt5 features?

This is pretty much your own choice as maintainers of the plugin.

The change here is is not so much about Qt 4 vs Qt 5, but more about
Qt Quick 1 vs Qt Quick 2 (which is, of course, not a completely independent
issue)

The promise of "Creator Core" is still to keep as much of Qt Creator 3.0
functional with Qt 4.8.x as painlessly possible. This is no problem for the
main application and the vast majority of plugins (all the C++/QtWidget
based ones) which happily build with either Qt 4 or 5. Having the same
setup for Qt Quick 1 and 2 is, unfortunately, not painlessly possible.

Since the QNX plugin does not depend on Qt Quick I see no immediate
technical need to drop Qt 4.x support and no particular benefit in
doing so right now. But it's really your choice.

Andre'