[Qt-creator] Xcode 5 no longer has GDB included. Ramifications?

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu Sep 19 23:35:39 CEST 2013

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 01:19:13PM -0700, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> If GDB can support code coming from clang-llvm, perhaps a simpler interim
> solution would be to build and ship a copy of gdb in the OSX bundle for
> QtCreator?

I don't really think that's a viable option, certainly not one that
requires less work than bringing real LLDB support up to snuff. We used to
ship "usable GDB builds" for Windows a while ago when the MinGW builds
where lacking scripting support and the whole process was a huge sink of
ressources. I'd rather not repeat that, for various reasons.

LLDB exposes a lot of its innards to its Python bindings in a straight-forward
manner, so it's really just cobbling "a few" things together. Really no
rocket science. On side provides a full debugger, the other side needs
a full debugger, missing are only (some of the) connections.

Documentation could be a bit better (where not...), so one doesn't end up
in dead ends too often, but in general it's a predictable and rewarding
environment to work in. I'd rather spend energy moving forward than to
maintain last year's status quo.

Andre'