[Qt-creator] Disable shadow build permanently for a project.

Frédéric Marchal frederic.marchal at wowtechnology.com
Tue Sep 24 10:51:57 CEST 2013

> Is there a config that can be added to the .pro file or something that
> can be uploaded to git which would automatically disable shadow building
> on fresh clones of a project? I have a project with data files in the
> run folder and a version tool which runs on each compile to generate a
> version header. Both of these things break when using shadow builds. In
> cases like this it would be nice to be able to disable shadow build on a
> project level. I don't think I am the only Qt Creator user that would
> like this. It would eliminate a bit of instruction from our wiki as well.

You are not the only one to wish for that feature.

I heavily rely on text files that are stored in the repository but must be
accessible to the application.

To circumvent that problem, I use a preconfig.ini file containing the path to
the directory with the text files. If the preconfig file doesn't exist, the
program defaults to ../../Source where "Source" is the source directory name
every developer is expected to have used when checking out the source code.

When the program is installed on the target computer, the final preconfig.ini
is edited to point to ".".

This is not very reliable nor convenient.

I second your request for a project based trick to turn off the shadow
building.

Frederic