[Qt-creator] Add a Build for Distribution menu choice to QtCreator

Koehne Kai Kai.Koehne at digia.com
Mon Apr 7 10:17:46 CEST 2014

Thanks to Friedemann, a fix for this just got merged into windeployqt (for Qt 5.3.0):

https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,82285

windeployqt now has the option also include the vcredist*.exe installer for your MSVC, and the runtime dll's for MinGW.

(Note that including the msvcr*.dll's directly is not recommended by Microsoft).

> And on the Mac, if you try
> run the Qt app in a folder that's been macdeployqt'ed on your
> development Mac you'll get the double Qt syndrome.

I'm not into Mac too much ... is this a known issue? Is there a task for it?

> All of this you'll eventually learn, not really a showstopper. But I
> think it's possible for QtCreator to more helpful here, by including a
> *Build for Distribution* menu choice.

I guess most will agree that the tools to deploy Qt applications can be improved. However, I think this should be done bottom-up. That is, it's probably a bad idea for Qt Creator to 'work around' missing features of the *deployqt applications. They should rather be extended/unified, and IMO also better integrated into the build infrastructure (qmake, cmake, qbs and friends). Qt Creator can then maybe take care of the 'glue' / fine tuning that is still needed, then :)

Regards

Kai