[Qt-creator] Web-Browser as plugin for QtCreator

Ziller Eike Eike.Ziller at digia.com
Mon Feb 10 13:15:59 CET 2014

On Feb 10, 2014, at 11:36 AM, Wilhelm Meier <wilhelm.meier at fh-kl.de> wrote:

> Am 10.02.2014 09:26, schrieb Ziller Eike:
>>
>> On Feb 8, 2014, at 8:43 AM, Wilhelm <wilhelm.meier at fh-kl.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> this may be a trivial question: is there a web-browser plugin or a
>>> web-browser ability already available in qtcreator. The background is to
>>> read html-documentation to a projects code (yes, I can do that with an
>>> external browser) and click on links to source-files and visit them in
>>> qtcreator. If I try that with an external browser, the source file gets
>>> opened in a (i) new qtcreator process and (ii) missing the project
>>> definition and therefore the code-model doesn't word (e.g. includes,
>>> follow-symbol, …).
>>
>> If you start Qt Creator with
>> qtcreator -client
>> (plus any other arguments) it will use already existing Qt Creator instances if possible.
>
> Is the helpviewer capable of displaying .html-files? If I open a
> html-file, the file is displayed as source not rendered.

All the help files are .html, so yes.
If you open an .html-file with File>Open in Qt Creator it gets opened in an editor, not the help viewer. You can’t point the help viewer to an arbitrary URL (that’s intentional).
Also, I think that the help viewer in Qt Creator also would just invoke your system handler for file links (i.e. it wouldn’t behave differently than an external browser in that regard).

You can try using the QtHelp tools (included in Qt) to actually create “documentation” from your .html files. That generates a help database (.qch file) which you then register in Qt Creator Options > Help > Documentation.

http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/qthelp-framework.html

If your documentation is actually generated by e.g. doxygen, that has a generator for .qch directly:
http://www.doxygen.nl/manual/config.html#cfg_generate_qhp

Br, Eike

--
Eike Ziller, Senior Software Engineer - Digia, Qt