[Qt-creator] Advice to improve QtCreator in new verions

Nikolai Kosjar nikolai.kosjar at digia.com
Thu Jan 9 09:46:21 CET 2014

Hi!

On 01/09/2014 04:19 AM, Freddy Martinez Garcia wrote:
> for example... I use C++11, and if I make:
>
> #include <memory>
>
> when I try to invoke std::move(), the editor dose not make the
> completion of the move function... KDevelop fo it.
> the same thing happen if I try to use std::share_ptr, QtCreator editor
> doesn't make the completion...

Do you use Qt Creator 3.0? I get a "move" entry for e.g. "std::mov",
though, as you mentioned, there is no function signature shown. Please
create a bug report. Note that function signature is usually shown as a
tool tip right to the entry.

Yes, there are problems when it comes to templates (std::shared_ptr,
std::unique_ptr [1]) and I know these are highly annoying. I'll tackle
that soon.

You might want to work around this by using the clang plugin, which was
recently merged into the master branch. See
src/plugins/clangcodemodel/README for setup.

> other thing is about the automatic code completion... KDevelop and XCode
> make it very very good and I hope that some day QtCreator can have the
> same functions. To activate automatically the code completion in
> QtCreator we need to type at less 3 letters and after that (and not so
> faster) code completion is activated. In XCode and KDevelop that not
> happen. Since we type the first letter the code completion is activated
> quickly, and that is good.

I suppose the 3-letters-check was done for performance reasons. We can
make this configurable.

> In the other hand, QtCreator editor view is not configurable.... so, we
> can not have Outline Side Bar in the right side of the window and
> Project Side Bar in left because they are together and they can not be
> separated. Eclipse, Netbeans, and other IDE give this possibility.

Never missed that one. Since one hand is probably almost always on the
keyboard, it's easily to switch the sidebars with a shortcut.

> other feature that I think that is very very helpful is SHOW THE ENTIRE
> FUNCTION POTOTYPE IN CODE COMPLETION. Almost all IDE do this... why
> QtCreator dose not make it ???

See above.

Nikolai

[1] https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTCREATORBUG-8937