[Qt-creator] Installing from a qtcreator .run file

Guido Seifert wargand at gmx.de
Mon Jan 20 13:25:16 CET 2014

By any chance, can it be that you as GTK developer read this article:
http://developers.slashdot.org/story/14/01/16/1349203/intel-dev-gtks-biggest-problem-and-what-qt-does-better
and wanted to show by questionable help requests that the Qt community is
not better than the GTK community?

For a dev, who flaunts 20 years of experience, you seem quite helpless.
The answer to your question:
No, we cannot update the debian package installer. The qt project does
not have much influence on what Debian or Ubuntu packages. The qt project
might be able to provide a .deb file, but what else? An rpm for RedHat and
Suse based distributions? An infrastructure for Gentoo? What about
Slackware, Arch?

The .run package the best possible solution to install Qt parallel to
probably all existing Linux distributions without interfering with their
native package management. /opt is the perfect location to do it:
 http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/opt.html

So yes, unless the different Linux distributions provide the newest Qt/Qt-Creator versions
themselves, all people have to go through all this. Some even go so far to compile everything
themselves. Even people with much less than 20 year dev experience.

Guido