[Qt-creator] UI blocked

Tomasz Siekierda sierdzio at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 10:00:25 CEST 2014

On 11 July 2014 08:14, Ziller Eike <Eike.Ziller at digia.com> wrote:

> On Jul 10, 2014, at 7:23 PM, Ariel Molina <ariel at edis.mx> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've noticed this bug too, but my machine is quite fast so i doesn't bother me that much, only in big projects.
>>
>> Also i wonder why it takes 4~5 seconds when switching kits for the build tools to be ready (The Play and Hammer buttons), does it really has to change a lot internally?.
>
> It does have to reparse all project files (basically internally running qmake). That is also necessary when “just" changing the build directory, because .pro files can reference OUT_PWD, the executable path changes, etc. When changing kits basically everything could change :)
>
> But, when changing build configurations or kits, this actually is done in separate (non-UI) threads, so there seems to be a thread prioritization problem for you?
> (This seems to be https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTCREATORBUG-11622 btw)
>
> Br, Eike

I think this discussion is not about Qt Creator *freezing* - at least
that is not what happens on my end. It about the fact that while Qt
Creator window stays responsive, it will not allow the project to be
build (that is: "Run qmake", "Rebuild", "Clear" are all grayed out,
and we can't click them. Same goes for keyboard shortcuts related to
project building). So, the thread is doing fine, Qt Creator works, the
issue is that we are forced to wait until build configuration finishes
before we are allowed to build. If the build command could be queued,
it would be much more convenient.

Hope it helps,
Tom