[Qt-creator] Using C++11 in Creator's source

Miller Henry MillerHenry at JohnDeere.com
Tue Mar 4 15:52:31 CET 2014

I'm still stuck on gcc 4.4 for the short term. (we keep hitting road blocks migrating to something newer despite several years of trying).  Can you stick with gcc 4.4?  You lose lambda, but you still gain auto and some other things.

This isn't a show stopper, I compile qt creator packages, and I do have newer compilers available.  However it is easier for me to use my system compiler instead of trying to use a new one: all the package scripts assume gcc 4.4 and I'm not clear on how hard it might be to force a different compiler.

-----Original Message-----
From: qt-creator-bounces+millerhenry=johndeere.com at qt-project.org [mailto:qt-creator-bounces+millerhenry=johndeere.com at qt-project.org] On Behalf Of Daniel Teske
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 7:09 AM
To: qt-creator at qt-project.org
Subject: [Qt-creator] Using C++11 in Creator's source

Hi,

since we have branched 3.1 from master, master no longer needs to support OS X 10.6. As such I propose, that we open up master for those C++11 features that are supported by VS 2010, g++ 4.5 and clang 3.1.

I think it's too early to require a newer version of Visual Studio, though requiring those 3 compilers gives us both *auto* and *lambda*.

I suspect that in practice the minimum g++ or clang version will be higher, since practically no one uses those versions any more.

We need to extend the coding rules for auto and lambda. Suggestions are welcome for that.

Ps:
Keep merges from 3.1 easy, by not unnecessarily rewriting code. Wait until 3.1 is mostly done.