[Qt-creator] Raise awareness: Qt Quick Designer's need for love

Hartmann Thomas Thomas.Hartmann at digia.com
Tue Mar 4 17:53:37 CET 2014

Hi,

I am the maintainer of Qt Quick Designer and I apologize for the late response, but I was on paternal leave.
We are currently working hard on Qt Creator 5.1 and fix as many bugs as we can.

I am aware of the fact that Qt Quick Designer has limitations, but .qml files are significantly more complex then the old .ui files.
Our focus currently is getting Qt Quick Designer working as good as possible for beginners,
for embedded UIs and typical desktop UIs using the Qt Quick Controls.
We do a lot of testing and with Qt Creator 5.0.1 it is possible to create reasonable complex UIs using the Qt Quick Designer.

For Qt Creator 5.0 we were busy to port the UI of the Qt Quick Designer itself (item library, states editor and property editor) from Qt Quick 1 to Qt Quick 2. While this has no immediate advantages for user, it means that Qt Quick 2 is used for a real complex application and we can iron out many bugs for end users.

Everybody can help us by submitting bug reports. Reproducible bugs, including an example, we can often fix very easily.  Providing a stack trace is also very helpful. But keep in mind that we cannot fix every bug in a short time frame, since some bugs require more work as it seems, come the risk of breaking other things or require changes to the architecture.

We are also reachable on IRC (Freenode) in the Qt-Creator channel.

Kind Regards,
Thomas Hartmann