[Qt-creator] Using C++11 in Creator's source

Ziller Eike Eike.Ziller at digia.com
Wed Mar 5 10:29:33 CET 2014

On Mar 4, 2014, at 2:09 PM, Daniel Teske <daniel.teske at digia.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> since we have branched 3.1 from master, master no longer needs to support OS X
> 10.6. As such I propose, that we open up master for those C++11 features that
> are supported by VS 2010, g++ 4.5 and clang 3.1.
>
> I think it's too early to require a newer version of Visual Studio, though
> requiring those 3 compilers gives us both *auto* and *lambda*.
>
> I suspect that in practice the minimum g++ or clang version will be higher,
> since practically no one uses those versions any more.
>
> We need to extend the coding rules for auto and lambda. Suggestions are
> welcome for that.

One rule for using “auto” that I’d like to establish, is to use it only “when the type is obvious when reading the code”.
Of course what that exactly means should be discussed and shown in some examples, and then it’s still up for interpretation.
E.g.:

Yes:

auto f = new FooBar;
auto a = new A;
auto myAction = menu->addAction(…);
auto it = list.const_iterator();

No:

auto i = 4; // the difference between “4;” and “4.;” is subtile with big consequences