[Qt-creator] Qt Creator flat style UI design + new Light theme

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at theqtcompany.com
Tue Feb 10 14:38:08 CET 2015

Hi Diana,

I personally like your designs, but the flat style has one severe
limitation: It does not support the color tinting that the manhattan
style supports. Try the tinting by changing the color in
Tools>Options>Environment>General>Color or wherever the settings are on
Mac), and note that the color is saved as part of the session state.

I use different colors for all my sessions. This enables me to see at a
glance which session I have currently open, which is important to me
since I do leave creator running all the time and switch between
sessions a lot.

In fact my wife is joking that the only way for her to tell whether I
work or play on my computer at home is by looking at the color of the
interface in front of me:-) The flat mode does not support color
tinting at all at this time, so that will take some work to make it
useful to me.

I am a bit afraid that this feature is going to get lost with your
designs. Both themes appear to assume a certain background color for
the UI elements. The flat and uni-colored icons will also make it much
harder to change the color and keep the icons visible. Maybe we can
just draw the icons in the same color we use for the font. We have code
that picks a font color with a good contrast to the background color.
That would also reduce the need to ship two sets of icons for the two
themes.

Best Regards,
Tobias

--
Tobias Hunger, Senior Software Engineer | The Qt Company

Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Tuula Haataja Sitz der
Gesellschaft: Berlin, Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB
144331 B

Email: tobias.hunger at theqtcompany.com | Phone: +49 30 63 92 3255
www.qt.io | Qt Blog: http://blog.qt.digia.com/ | Twitter: @QtbyDigia,
@Qtproject | Facebook: www.facebook.com/qt