[Qt-creator] projectexplorer foldernavigationwidget extraction

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 13:23:19 CET 2015

Hi Petr,

I am currently almost completely offline right now, so I can not look
things up in the code. For this reason there is more "IIRC" in this reply
than I am usually comfortable with:-)

On Jan 3, 2015 12:28 PM, "Petr Vaněk" <petr at yarpen.cz> wrote:
> Yes, for sure. I found lot of 3rd party plugins on github/sf.net
providing support for additional languages or extended functionality.
> And I'm ready to keep the Qore/Qorus plugin in open but separate
repository because I fully understand that this area is not important for
most of QtCreator users at all. That's obvious ;)

The copyright is yours to choose. I still recommend getting as much add
possible upstream, simply since that reduces your maintenance load and also
makes creator better.

> On the other side QtCreator seems to be important enough to become
"Eclipse platform done right" (just a joke of course) - that some of its
usage can grow over C/C++ IDE which is primary goal now.

I think we are pretty open in all directions, but of course we in the Qt
Company obviously focus on Qt development.

> I believe that proposed change(s) - mine about foldernavigationwidget,
Hermann's about more abstract specialization can affect only QtCreator
developers but not end users definitely. If it will be done right.

We do care about Qt Creator developers, too:-)

> Correct me if I'm wrong but if I move some widgets out of projectexplorer
into eg. new plugin (or into core plugin) and the plugin will be a part of
the official repository/releases with autoloading set on, then the end user
cannot see any difference, right?

The project explorer code is used by many external plugins, so this change
does effect external plugin developers -- and all users of those effected
plugins.

> Also the file system browser does not looks project related to me. And I
can imagine lots of usage where there is no "project" required - simple
scripts, independent plaintext files editing, editing files over webdav...
Again - I understand that QtCreator is C/C++ IDE *now* but I can really see
the potential to become an universal platform for IDEs.

True, but IIRC it uses the same code to implement the tree of nodes as the
project plugin. So it does make sense to keep those together.

> Maybe Hermann can share summary of his patches/changes to show his
problem domain as well.

> So conclusion finally ;)
>
> - it's a chance to make QtCreator more open (from the technical point of
view) if somebody can help me to analyze projectexplorer and core and
cppeditor plugins in terms of what belongs where.

IIRC the project explorer plugin does depend on the core plugin but none of
the others listed.

So where does the tight coupling between the project explorer and the C++
related plugins come from?

> - I'll definitely accept any of the QtCreator "board" decision

There is no board, just a bunch of maintainers caring about specific
plugins:-)

> - I offer to make the changes on my own and post it to review/acceptance
process

Sure, go ahead.

Do you have some links on the language you want to support? Just so that I
can understand your problems better.

Best regards,
Tobias