[Qt-creator] projectexplorer foldernavigationwidget extraction

Ziller Eike Eike.Ziller at theqtcompany.com
Mon Jan 5 13:46:18 CET 2015

> On Jan 3, 2015, at 12:28 PM, Petr Vaněk <petr at yarpen.cz> wrote:

[snip]

> On the other side QtCreator seems to be important enough to become "Eclipse platform done right" (just a joke of course) - that some of its usage can grow over C/C++ IDE which is primary goal now.

I think André and Tobias already mostly explained how we currently see Qt Creator in that regard.
Being a general purpose “Application Development Framework” is definitely not in the current (and not in the nearer future) scope of Qt Creator ;)

[snip]

> Also the file system browser does not looks project related to me. And I can imagine lots of usage where there is no "project" required - simple scripts, independent plaintext files editing, editing files over webdav... Again - I understand that QtCreator is C/C++ IDE *now* but I can really see the potential to become an universal platform for IDEs.

Long discussion, but here an answer to the original question:

FolderNavigationWidget + Factory can easily move to the TextEditor plugin.
Probably even more preferable would be to move it into Core plugin. For that you need to refactor  FolderNavigationWidget::contextMenuEvent to no longer depend on TextEditor, probably by using  EditorManager::addNativeDirAndOpenWithActions(...) to add the “Show in Explorer”, “Open Terminal Here”, “Find in This Directory” and “Open With” items, instead of replicating that functionality like it is done currently. (Would be a good refactoring anyhow. Just creating a fake DocumentModel::Entry, setting its m_fileName accordingly with the absolute path, and passing that along to  addNativeDirAndOpenWithActions should do the job).

Set up gerrit (http://qt-project.org/wiki/Setting-up-Gerrit), push your change there, and add me as reviewer ;)

If you do not live too far away from the CET time zone, you can also find us on the #qt-creator  channel on irc.freenode.org

--
Eike Ziller, Senior Software Engineer - Digia, Qt