[Qt-creator] Automatic creation of Kits inside Qt Creator

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 12:57:24 CET 2015

Hi there,

yes, you can create kits outside of creator.

The installer in fact does just that: It registers the Qt versions,
toolchains, etc. it installs and then sets up a kit. We have a
commandline tool called sdktool for that. It is pretty low-level tool
and it works best to set up all the things you want to automate
manually in Qt Creator first and then copy the values found in your
user settings and then pass those as arguments into sdktool.

Sdktool does currently write system-wide settings though, so that
toolchain will be visible for everybody on that system -- and it will
probably need admin rights to actually write into the global
configuration space. If there is interest we could probably add an
parameter to make it modify the user settings instead. Patches are of
course wellcome:-)

Setting up kits inside a plugin is possible, too: Just use
ProjectExplorer::KitManager and register whatever you need. There are
a couple of examples in the Qt Creator repo. IIRC the android plugin
does register kits as does the Qnx one.

Best Regards,
Tobias