[Qt-creator] Cmake plugin again

Mathias Hasselmann mathias at taschenorakel.de
Tue Jan 27 16:16:59 CET 2015

Am 27.01.2015 um 15:27 schrieb Daniel Teske:
>> its been a while since we last merged the upstream CMake plugin
>> into our own Ubuntu-SDK codebase. As a result our current version
>> is behind the most recent QtC release.
>> Since the last merge there were a lot of things changed in the plugin
>> that makes it almost impossible to merge it again, so we decided to
>> start from scratch and since we have learned from the last time we
>> want to first propose the refactoring steps we are going to work on.
>>
>> We decided to drop the idea of removing the "Run cmake" dialog but
>> still need a possibility to have a cmake per Kit.
>>
>> So here are the steps, each one would be a self contained patch:
>>
>> Patch 1:
>> -> Add a view to register multiple cmake instances to the system (in
>>      tools->options->Build&Run->cmake)
>>          * The user can select a default cmake tool that will be used for
>> every build
>>          * do not add it to the Kit yet to keep the patch small
>>          * use a view like in the QtVersions settings page (treeview)
>>          * provide a central registry for all the cmake instances
>> (CMakeToolManager)
>>
>> Patch 2:
>> -> Make the cmake instances known to the Kits (CMakeKitInformation)
>>          * The run cmake dialog will pick up the cmake from the kit
>>
>> Patch 1 is rather big, but I do not see a way to break it down even
>> more, but
>> I'm open for suggestions :).
>>
>> Daniel, can you please tell me if this proposal as the base of our
>> implementation
>> is acceptable for you?
>
> So I have only limited understanding of your setup and needs, thus I can only
> comment on this in isolation. There have been some people wanting to have
> multiple different cmake executables, but that's a fringe use case as far as
> I'm concerned.

That's not too fringe in my opinion: I regularly encounter the situation
that I'd need cmake 3.0 or even master for experimental or new project,
while having to stay with 2.8.12 (or even older) for customer projects.
Sucks to leave QtCreator in those scenarios. For CMake there really
should be different versions supported. Just as for compilers and for Qt
versions.

Ciao,
Mathias