[Qt-creator] Cmake plugin again

André Pönitz apoenitz at t-online.de
Tue Jan 27 20:51:48 CET 2015

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 04:26:24PM +0100, Tobias Hunger wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 4:16 PM, Mathias Hasselmann
>[...]
> >>
> >> So I have only limited understanding of your setup and needs, thus I
> >> can only comment on this in isolation. There have been some people
> >> wanting to have multiple different cmake executables, but that's a
> >> fringe use case as far as I'm concerned.
> >
> > That's not too fringe in my opinion: I regularly encounter the situation
> > that I'd need cmake 3.0 or even master for experimental or new project,
> > while having to stay with 2.8.12 (or even older) for customer projects.
> > Sucks to leave QtCreator in those scenarios. For CMake there really
> > should be different versions supported. Just as for compilers and for Qt
> > versions.
> >
> > Ciao, Mathias
>
> Hi Mathias,
>
> ok, I see that use-case, but I do not see why cmake needs an options page
> of its own.
>
> I still think Just adding the path to the right cmake binary to the kit
> would suffice.

There's already a 'CMake' tab in Build & Run, and this is actually the
odd one out, as the preceding ones all have the "multiple instances" layout.
Having the same Autodetected/Manual tree as in the Kits, Qt Versions,
Compilers, and Debuggers pages would make the otherwise almost
empty cmake page more useful *and* more uniform.

Already now there's not just a plain cmake path to configure, but also
the Ninja check box on the page. Showing the detected version wouldn't hurt
either.

We/I already once fell into the trap "a plain path is good enough" with
the debugger settings, which turned out to be wrong, and moving it off
the kits page came with quite some pain.

All in all, the original proposal to handle several cmake versions on
the cmake tab and only link from the kits page looks ok to me.

Andre'