[Qt-creator] Where to find more information from Clang indexing errors

Michael Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 18:02:17 CEST 2015

This is with QtCreator 3.5.0rc1 latest nightly build (July 29, 2015). Some of my code shows up ok but some shows with the red squiggly line underneath it saying there is an error. The code compiles fine with clang itself. (OS X 10.8.5 with Xcode 5.x). here is a short snippet from our code:

    ReadAngData::Pointer reader = ReadAngData::New();
    reader->setInputFile(m_EbsdFileName);
    reader->setDataContainerArray(dca); <== Says this line is in error
    reader->execute();

The error is:
"cannot initialize object parameter of type 'AbstractFilter' with an expression of type 'ReadAngData'"

Here is some more context:

ReadAngData subclasses from AbstractFilter

setDataContainerArray() is a virtual public method in the AbstractFilter class but is NOT reimplemented in ReadAngData.
execute() is a virtual public method in the AbstractFilter class but IS reimplemented in ReadAngData.
setInputFile() is ONLY implemented in ReadAngData.

So is this just an issue with the Clang code mode implementation? The "old" QtCode model gets it correct. All my includes are properly resolved. I really want to use the new clang code model as it tends to get the heavily templated code in things like Boost and ITK correct but this "hit and miss" completion gets annoying. I want to help make QtCreator better so just let me know what I can do.

Googling didn't really shed any light on the issue. Is it possible that how QtCreator compiled the included libClang and how Apple compiles it are different? Version difference between OS X 10.8's libClang and QtCreator's LibClang?

Thanks
Mike Jackson
BlueQuartz Software.