[Qt-creator] How to add a dock window to a custom editor?

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gna.org
Tue Jun 16 07:10:56 CEST 2015

Hi there,

I have created a custom editor (a kind of drawing editor) and I would
like to have extra dock widgets on the left (very similar to what
designer offers: a property editor and a structure/hierarchy viewer).

I saw how it can be done when implementing a new mode (eg. the debugger
mode uses a custom FancyMainWindow), but I wondered if it's possible to
add and manage QDockWidget when implementing a custom editor as the
editor manager provides already something similar.

This doesn't seem possible to me, for few reasons. One of them being
that the editor manager provides a splitable view, which means that if i
use dock widget inside my editor, then the dock widgets will be inside
the split view - not on the side.

So it looks to me I will have to implement a new mode...

Krys