[Qt-creator] Debug on Remote *Windows* Device using MinGW

Denis Shienkov denis.shienkov at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 21:53:53 CET 2015

Hi all.

I want to debug a remote Windows device, using the MinGW. The both
HostOS and Target OS is Windows.
I know about the option "Attach to Remote Debug Server" in QtCreator,
but this option is unaceptable to me,
because I has not a direct access to the target PC. I want to use
something similar to "Generic Linux Device",
but for Windows. The reason is that the target device has not a
keyboard, mouse, and has the small displays
with the high resolution.

I tried following:

* Install the Qt5.4 (MinGW) on remote PC.
* Install the FreeSSHd (it is a free SSH server) on remote PC.
* Install the Cygwin (it is to emulate a Unix env) on remote PC.
* Create a new "Remote Generic Linux" configuration from the local
QtCreator.
* From the FreeSSHd  settings I specify the Cygwin's bash.exe executable
as the shell.
* Trying to connect to remote PC via Putty to ensure that the SSH works
correctly.
* On a remote PC, the  Qt5.4, MinGW, Cygwin are passed to the global
PATH env.

But all attempts to debug are fails.

First issue - it is that "Check for fre space" fails with error:

"
:-1: error: Unexpected output from remote process: "df: unknown option -- n
Try 'df --help' for more information."
"

Second issue - it is that the step "Upload files via SFTP" can't do it,
because a local file path is
displayed/detected without an extension (without an *.exe suffix):

"
:-1: error: Failed to upload file
"C:\Qt\Qt5.4.1-mingw\Examples\Qt-5.4\widgets\widgets\build-analogclock-Fake-Debug\debug\analogclock":
Could not open for reading.
"

where should be "analogclock.exe" instead of "analogclock" (as I
understand).

Third issue - even to do copying of target executable to the remote PC
manually (and
to delete the upload steps), then then this also fails with the messagebox:

"
Adapter start failed

Initial setup failed: Remote process failed; exit code was 2

"

So, my question is: there are any trick to do this? Can someone make
some fixes to solve it in QtCreator? :)

BR,
Denis