[Qt-creator] SUBDIRS template with common libraries used in multiple projects

Markus Franke Markus.Franke at linguwerk.de
Thu Mar 5 09:26:15 CET 2015

Dear André,

Am 04.03.2015 um 15:34 schrieb André Hartmann:
> So the only way I see (if you can't change the project structure) is to
> disable shadow-building by hand.<
 >
> I'm not sure if it works with the shadow build option, but you could try
> to disable shadow build by setting up a pro.shared file. You just need
> to figure out the correct key from the pro.user file.
>
> http://qt-project.org/doc/qtcreator-3.0/creator-sharing-project-settings.html

well, disabling shadow-building is actually not an option as this would
spoil my SVN directory with temporary build files.

Thanks for the link to the setup of shared project settings. I did some
experiments with it, however after a new user does a clean check out of
the project together with the *.pro.shared file, the relevant settings
get marked "sticky" in the newly created *.pro.user file. I don't have a
clue why, because I thought that the *.pro.shared settings should be
superior to the *.pro.user settings.

So the only way I see to use the SUBDIRS template with my common library
would be to have the following filesystem layout:

/GenericCodeFolder/
——app1 (using commonlib)
   ——app1.pro (TEMPLATE=app)
——app2 (using commonlib)
   ——app2.pro (TEMPLATE=app)
——app3 (using commonlib)
   ——app3.pro (TEMPLATE=app)
——commonlib
   ——commonlib.pro (TEMPLATE=lib)
——app1_solution.pro (TEMPLATE=SUBDIRS)
——app2_solution.pro (TEMPLATE=SUBDIRS)
——app3_solution.pro (TEMPLATE=SUBDIRS)

As you can see from the naming of my "solutions" - I am looking for
something like the well known Visual Studio Solutions (*.sln) in Qt Creator.

Best regards,
Markus

Btw: I am using Qt Creator 3.3.1.

> Best regards,
> Andre
>
> Am 04.03.2015 um 14:10 schrieb Markus Franke:
>> Hi André,
>>
>> Am 04.03.2015 um 13:53 schrieb André Hartmann:
>>> Markus, as far as I can see you already use yyy.depends=xxx,
>>> but the problem is, that the library is build in a different folder due
>>> to shadow-building?
>>
>> Yes you are right. Due to the fact that I am referencing the library
>> through relativ paths like "../../" in my SUBDIRS project, it won't get
>> built inside the shadow build folder. The build files will rather be
>> stored two levels above the shadow build folder because of the relative
>> paths. Everything compiles fine but I don't like the fact that my built
>> files will be stored "somewhere in the wild".
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Markus
>>

>>> Best regards,
>>> Andre

Dipl.-Inf. Markus Franke
Embedded Systems Engineering (ES)

Linguwerk GmbH          Office: +49 351 6533-6967
Schnorrstraße 70        Fax:    +49 351 6533-6965
01069 Dresden           E-Mail: Markus.Franke at linguwerk.de
Germany                 Web:    www.linguwerk.de

Linguwerk GmbH; Geschäftsführer (Managing Directors): Dr. Rico Petrick,
Dr. Horst-Udo Hain, Karina Matthes; Sitz (Registered Office): Dresden;
HRB (Commercial Register No.): 29862; Registergericht (Registration
Court): Dresden

This email and any attachments are intended only for the person to whom
this email is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. If you received this email in error, please do not disclose
the contents to anyone, but notify the sender by return email and delete
this email (and any attachments) from your system.