[Qt-creator] CMake Generator

Spandan Sharma ustulation at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 13:48:40 CET 2015

Using Qt Creator 3.3.1.
I have Visual Studio 2013 Community edition and thus the msvc compiler that
comes with it. When using from the visual studio command prompt:
C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /k
""C:\virtualization-c\softwares\active\visual-studio\2013-community\VC\vcvarsall.bat""
x86_amd64

I mention the cmake generator for my project as:
cmake ..\Project -G "Visual Studio 12 Win64"
and then
cmake --build . --target some_target --config Debug

and everything works fine.

However if i open the CMakeLists.txt in Qt Creator then the Generator
available is the NMake Generator and no other in the Drop Down. Due to this
there are several compile errors (submodules unable to find preconfigured
headers/libraries etc). The entire project has been tested to work with
"Visual Studio 12 Win64" generator and i need this to get the project to
build successfully from Qt Creator.

How do I achieve this? I don't want to use the NMake/Ninja generators (as
they did not work). Putting -G "Visual Studio 12 Win64" in the line edit
for CMake arguments in Qt Creator does not work too as it continues to use
the generator available in the drop down (Nmake one)