[Qt-creator] [Releasing] Qt Creator 3.4 binaries will be compiled with MSVC 2013 (dynamic opengl)

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Mar 16 22:56:42 CET 2015

On Monday 16 March 2015 12:27:41 Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 12:07:56PM +0100, Henry Skoglund wrote:
> > About switching building QtC to MSVC2013, that's excellent news, thank
> > you!
> >
> > I'm testing it now, looks good. Just want to add, I'm testing it in a
> > Windows XP Virtual Machine on VMWare Fusion. So it still works fine
> > under Windows XP. Just have to patch the qtcreator.exe file:
> > http://www.tripleboot.org/Pictures/PatchingQtCreator3.3.81.png
>
> well, it's a tad insane to do that.
>
> as qt officially still supports xp, the qt binaries should be simply
> built with -target xp. but this means it can't be built against windows
> kit 8. i don't know what the implications of that would be.

This seems to be talking about the Qt that is used for running Qt Creator. For
that one, it would be acceptable to drop XP support. You should really not be
using Qt Creator on Windows XP.

If the discussion were about the Qt that user applications get linked to, I'd
say that we should keep XP support as much as possible.

Unless that hinders future Windows support. In that case, I don't know: is
Microsoft really making us choose between XP and 8 support?