[Qt-creator] Please change the postion of the build status indicator

Ziller Eike Eike.Ziller at theqtcompany.com
Tue Nov 17 13:56:19 CET 2015

> On Nov 17, 2015, at 12:14, Mathias Hasselmann <mathias at taschenorakel.de> wrote:
>
> Am 16.11.2015 um 09:51 schrieb Ziller Eike:
>>
>>> On Nov 13, 2015, at 5:45 PM, Ariel Molina <ariel at edis.mx> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm in favor of keeping related things on the same place.
>>>
>>> How about using the wasted space in the bottom-left? I recall
>>> (years ago) Visual Studio transformed the build button into a Stop
>>> button to stop the build. Xcode currently keeps the progess bar
>>> very close to the Play and Stop buttons.
>>>
>>> http://imgur.com/SREHbA7
>>
>> This is very centric on “build” related progress.
>
> Sure, check the subject. It's all about the build related progress.
> The initial author, and nobody of those complaining seems to care about
> search progress and such.

What was said about build progress information in the original post, is the case for any (lengthy) progress information that we currently show.

>> Build related progress could be shown additionally “over” the build
>> icon,

Please also don’t forget to read this half-sentence. And note the “additionally”.
In general I’d prefer to have one single place where information about lengthy background activity is found. There are many more background activities, some of them triggered manually, some of them triggered automatically. IMO we should be careful with not adding lots of different places with this kind of progress information. But as said, we already show build information as something special elsewhere on everything except Linux, and adding an overlay over the build icon might make sense. It won’t help the general case though.

--
Eike Ziller, Senior Software Engineer | The Qt Company