[Qt-creator] Clang Code Model Questions

Cristian Adam cristian.adam at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 16:13:58 CET 2015

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 5:50 PM, Mike Jackson <imikejackson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > On Oct 30, 2015, at 7:32 AM, Nikolai Kosjar <
> nikolai.kosjar at theqtcompany.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > On 10/21/2015 03:33 PM, Mike Jackson wrote:
> >> I have been using the nightly builds of 3.5.1 and now 3.6.0 and it
> >> seems the editor is still running into hanging issues when the
> >> source file has anything other than trivial codes. I started trying
> >> to profile the code in an attempt to learn how/where the issue might
> >> be and if it is our own code base that is causing the issues.Most I
> >> have noticed is that “clangbackend” spins up and QtCreator hangs with
> >> a spinning beach ball for 5~10 seconds overtime I try to have a
> >> completion pop up. This makes the editor pretty much unusable.
> >
> > When exactly does it start to hang? If you trigger completion? Is it
> > reproducible? The communication with the backend is asynchronous, it
> > shouldn't block the UI. Are you sure that the blocking does not occur
> > with the built-in code model for the same code and the same use case?
> >
> > Please provide answers to this questions in a bug report.
> >
> >> I just wanted to try to get a feel for where QtCreator was going and
> >> what the timelines are so that I can gauge how I will develop codes
> >> going forward.
> >
> > The current focus lies on proper/usable highlighting, diagnostics and
> completions from clang. Later indexing will be addressed, but that's
> another story. For concrete questions, just ask.
> >
> >> I generally like what I see with the newer features being added to
> >> QtCreator and want to keep using it but our code base, for what ever
> >> reason, just seems to give the clang code model fits when trying to
> >> complete our functions.
> >
> > Again, the best you can do is to create proper bug reports.
> >
> > Nikolai
>
> I am still struggling with how to put in a report on this topic. Something
> other than  “Hey the editor with Clang code model is slow”. The fact that I
> am not seeing anyone else report this same thing and the fact that the
> editor with Clang code model remains basically unusable on a nightly basis
> tells me that it must just be our project. Maybe our project brings in so
> many outside projects that it over whelms the code model and the underlying
> assumptions? I can put in a bug report but I have not found a way to
> reproduce my issues besides “ .. try our project.. “.

If you go to Tools -> C++ -> Inspect C++ Code Model... how many files do
you have for the "Global/Indexing Snapshot"?
How many files do you have for the "Current Editor's Snapshot" when you try
to get code completion in a file?

How much memory does "clangbackend" executable use? What does
"clangbackend" when the 5-10 seconds of Qt Creator inactivity?

Cheers,
Cristian.