[Qt-creator] Normalizing key mappings across operating systems

Ziller Eike Eike.Ziller at theqtcompany.com
Mon Nov 30 09:22:09 CET 2015

> On Nov 28, 2015, at 2:31 AM, Bob Hood <bhood2 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> I have been using Qt Creator pretty heavily under Linux for the past couple of months, and now I must do some work under OS X. I've compiled Qt Creator (3.5 against Qt 5.4.2), and when I started, the key mappings are all different--they're all (ugh) OS X-ish.
>
> Can I somehow migrate settings from my Linux environment to OS X to get the same, cross-platform key mappings?

You can try exporting the key mapping on Linux (Options > Environment > Keyboard > Export) and importing it on OS X for starters. But.

- No idea if the Ctrl/Alt/Meta mapping makes any sense then
- E.g. the editor uses many default behaviors from the OS. For some of these we have keyboard settings where “no key sequence” actually means “use the OS default”. You’ll want to try changing TextEditor.GotoLine(Start|End) etc.
- The OS might grab some shortcuts away. E.g. Cmd+Space is invoking Spotlight on OS X by default, which is what the Linux/Windows setting “Ctrl+Space” is meaning on Qt/OSX, so you’ll either have to change it in Qt Creator or OS X keyboard/shortcut settings.
- Just to mention that as well, you can also change the scroll-wheel direction on OS X from “natural” to “what-every-OS-else-does” in System Prefs > Mouse

If you will do much work on Linux + OS X in the future then I’d personally recommend getting used to the different configurations. That way you’ll become comfortable on _any_ Mac and its software. I myself switch all the time between OS X and Linux and the switch now comes naturally. I’m more annoyed about differences like the Linux paste-buffer ;)

Br, Eike