[Qt-creator] Providing a custom Kit in my own plugin

Filippo Cucchetto filippocucchetto at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 18:10:03 CEST 2015

Hi Olivier,
i'm working for integrating another "exotic" complied language inside
QtCreator: Nim.
In the end i would benefit from an extension of the kit "concept" with some
sort of language option too.
So if you want to discuss or extend the discussion i'm glad to help.
Right know IMHO the simpler option is to add support for the Nim/Rust
compiler by making them visible
like custom compiler types (gcc, clang etc).
For other deep changes i think we should start from the UI concept since we
can't
break the C++ user workflow (since QtCreator is mainly a C++ IDE).

F.

> Hallo Olivier,
>
> that would be the first compiled language other than C/C++:-) As you
> noticed there is little infrastructure in place for such a case yet.
>
> The ToolChain is implicitly a C++ toolchain. That would need some
> extending to make that work well with rust. Maybe add a flag for the
> language to the toolchain, if all of its interfaces makes sense in the rust
> use case? That would then require a bit of work to make the UI useful with
> more than one language, but that should be manageable.
>
> Kits are just a grab-bag of settings, so it should not be a problem to add
> any information you want to them. They will become bigger as all kits have
> the same settings, but it is perfectly ok to have some kits with unset
> values. Adding toolchains for different languages is no problem at all from
> the kits perspective, but making sure not to introduce a regression for the
> C/C++ toolchains is probably a challenge;-).
>
> We already have more than one build system in the kits: qmake and cmake. I
> do not see a problem adding another one. At some point we will need to
> think about something to provide filtered views on the kits (e.g. to only
> show settings relevant to cmake based projects or to rust projects or qmake
> projects or whatever), but that is a different issue.
>
> Best Regards,
> Tobias
>
> Tobias Hunger, Senior Software Engineer | The Qt Company
>
> The Qt Company GmbH, Rudower Chaussee 13, D-12489 Berlin
> Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Tuula Haataja Sitz der
> Gesellschaft:  Berlin, Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB
> 144331 B

Filippo Cucchetto