[Qt-creator] Providing a custom Kit in my own plugin

Hunger Tobias Tobias.Hunger at theqtcompany.com
Mon Oct 19 10:34:26 CEST 2015

Hi Olivier,

On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 6:30 PM, Olivier Renaud <o.renaud at gmx.fr> wrote:
> What do you mean by "making sure not to introduce a regression for the C/C++
> toolchains"? I interpret it as "things could blow up if user choose a Rust
> compiler for a C++ project", but I'm not sure that's what you had in mind.

When we add new toolchains for languages other than C++, then we should make that explicit by e.g. adding a tag for the language the tool chain supports. We would also need to select the correct language with the ToolChainKitInformation.

When we do that, then we need to make sure not to break existing code. That implicitly assumes all toolchains to be for C++ after all. Changing assumptions like that tends to introduce regressions, so we need to make sure we have enough time to iron out those after introducing such a change.

That is all I wanted to say.

Best Regards,
Tobias

--
Tobias Hunger, Senior Software Engineer | The Qt Company

Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Tuula Haataja Sitz der Gesellschaft:  Berlin, Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 144331 B