[Qt-creator] Sensible make -j X?

Cristian Adam cristian.adam at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 19:27:27 CEST 2015

On Oct 22, 2015 19:16, "Jason H" <jhihn at gmx.com> wrote:

> In this world, where both phones and computers are averaging 4 cores (or
more) does it make sense to ever not default make to 1 thread? I can
understand that some situations can't have multi-threaded builds, but I
believe they are in the minority now. I find that a good value for -j is
N*2 where N is the number of cores (since there is a lot of i/o delay from

> It would be nice if this was populated from the get-go. I believe it's
stored in the .user file? Is there a way to set it in the .pro file? I work
in iOS/Android/Desktop, so it's kinda silly to have to set this 6 times
(debug/release) in the same project!

If you are using CMake you can switch to ninja instead of make.

Ninja automatically uses all of your machine's computing power.

Cheers,
Cristian.