[Qt-creator] Very slow startup / autodetecting hardening versions of gcc and clang

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 15:51:22 CEST 2015

Hi Wilhelm,

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 2:42 PM, Wilhelm <wilhelm.meier at fh-kl.de> wrote:
> I'm using qtcreator 3.5.0 with qt 5.5.0 on arch-linux.
>
> I experience very long startup times running qtcreator. Starting from
> bash results in:

<snip>
> QByteArray ProjectExplorer::runGcc(const Utils::FileName&, const
> QStringList&, const QStringList&): Timeout running
> '/usr/lib/hardening-wrapper/bin/clang++'.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) What may be the cause to get the timeouts?

The hardening-wrapper package.

/usr/lib/hardening-wrapper/bin/g++ does not like the arguments we pass
to it: E.g. "-xc++ -E -dM /dev/null" does not produce any output, so
the code model would be broken for this compiler -- if it would have
been detected properly).

Please report a bug against the tool: That wrapper should not
interfere with the output of the wrapped application in such a way.

> 2) How can I disable autodetecting compilers?

You can't. But all the auto-detection does is to check $PATH, so
removing /usr/lib/hardening-wrapper/bin from PATH should fix the issue
for you.

Best Regards,
Tobias