[Qt-creator] QT Creator, compiling and deploying a c or c++ to a remote device (BeagleBone or R pi)

Davide Picchi paveway at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 10:33:07 CEST 2015

I'm trying since days to write and develop programs on my host pc (Ubuntu
64bit) using qt-creator for my beaglebone and raspberry pi devices. I
looked for 'qt-creator cross compile beagle, raspberry etc...' and it leads
me to hundred of links and tutorial on *how to compile qt-creator for my
target plattform*. But seriously, that not my idea. All what I want is to
simply use my pc for developing my programs and lately deploy them to the
remote device.

So first of all a noob question: *Is something wrong with my idea? Should I
really compile the source of qt for beaglebone or raspberry on my pc for
writing programs which lately should be run on that devices????*

I will not compile qt-creator again for another plattform, so I don't know
how to find the right way. A lot of informations on internet are misleading.

So after many hours spend look for the right information I come up with the
following procedure:

first I installed a arm-gnu toolchain on my 64bit Ubuntu.

$sudo apt-get install build-essential libc6-armhf-cross
libc6-dev-armhf-cross binutils-arm-linux-gnueabihf
linux-libc-dev-armhf-cross libstdc++6-armhf-cross
gcc-4.8-arm-linux-gnueabihf g++-4.8-arm-linux-gnueabihf

then I installed qt-creator from the repository on my Ubuntu:

$sudo apt-get install qtcreator

I tried to configure to use qt for compiling my projects using the
toolchain for arm (see following pictures)

Screenshot #1 <http://s29.postimg.org/6qqre3d3r/hb3_FV.png>

and here:

Screenshot #2 <http://s15.postimg.org/w5hqqu8kb/v_Yf_JB.png>

but it seems that qt-creator doesn't recognize the new kit when I
start a new project:

Screenshot #3 <http://s24.postimg.org/deta1gnf9/Fx_My_Q.png>

Now: I m really confused, I could think that the problem is related to qt,
but I m not sure, whether the way of thinking, that I can compile on ubuntu
64bit and then run my application on the remote device is right or not.

For this reason it would be nice if you can answer the question above.

Furthermore: I tried adding a QT-version to my kit and in this case it
happens that the gnueabi compiler conflicts with that options and the
following problem arises:

Screenshot #4 <http://s24.postimg.org/j4e3ziiz9/v_FS70.png>

I would like to say again that I don't need to use qt-library or something
like that on my remote device. I need just to use the qt-IDE as IDE for my
projects (mainly c or c++ plain projects)

Thanks and regards